Rate this name:
Origin and Meaning
Old Norse askr = 'ash tree' (see also ASK)    
For combinations see ASK (name element)
Askr and Embla are the first human beings on earth. Burr's sons, the gods Óðinn, Vili and Vé find two tree trunks on the shore and they create man from them:
Óðinn gives them breath and life
Vili gives them intelligence and movement
Vé gives them their outward appearance, speech, hearing and sight.
In the Vǫluspá, the creating gods are Óðinn, Hœnir and Loðurr  
Name Count per Country
Please turn your device to landscape orientation for better view of statistics tables and graphs.
No recent statistics trend found in databases for Askr.
Sources:    
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Kristoffer Kruken og Ola Stemshaug: Norsk Personnamnleksikon (1995)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Rudolf Simek: Dictionary of Northern Mythology (1993)
- ↑ Roland Otterbjörk: Svenska förnamn (1979)
- ↑ Inger Lautin (Red.): Hva skal barnet hete? (1993)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Statistiska Centralbyrån, National statistics office of Sweden, http://www.scb.se/
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Danmarks Statistik, National statistics office of Denmark, http://www.dst.dk
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Statistisk Sentralbyrå, National statistics office of Norway, http://www.ssb.no
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Väestörekisterikeskus, National Population Register Centre of Finland, http://www.vrk.fi