18 December 2022
In November 2022, 11 names were submitted to the Icelandic naming committee for approval. 11 of them were approved and no name was rejected:
- Askalín: This name could be an Icelandic form of Askeline or a new combination of ASK and LIN or LÍN and it was approved.
- Bjart: This variant form of Björt was approved to be used as a female or male name.
- Hófí: This Icelandic pet form of Hólmfríður was now approved to be used as a human name. Previously, it had been used as a horse name.
- Þórína: This Icelandic form of Torina was approved.
- Bjart: This variant form of Bjartur was approved to be used as a female or male name.
- Díon: This Icelandic spelling of Dion was approved.
- Hrímir: This variant form of Hrímnir was approved.
- Kappi: This Old Norse byname meaning 'warrior', 'champion' was approved
- Miguel: This Spanish form of Michael was approved to be used in Iceland now as well.
- Sammy: This English pet form of Samuel was approved.
- Scott: This English name - originally a surname - was approved to be used in Iceland now as well.
- Sigurbogi: This name means 'victory bow'. It is a new combination of SIG and BOGI and it was approved.
For more information and new Icelandic names of other months see Icelandic Approved Names.