Main Page

Old Norse Christian Names?

When you are looking for information about a name which is not yet listed on www.nordicnames.de, this is the place to ask

Old Norse Christian Names?

Postby Mikael » Fri 18 Jun 2010, 18:47

Hi,

I was wondering how Old Norse Christian names were usually spelled, and if someone has a list of them? The name I'm particularly interested in is my own; Mikael. I understand the typical modern Icelandic form is Mikjall or sometimes Michael (I think this is from English?), was this the same spelling a thousand years ago? Also, I'm Norwegian so I was wondering if perhaps Mikael is an Old Norwegian variant?

Thanks
Mikael

Re: Old Norse Christian Names?

Postby judith » Wed 23 Jun 2010, 20:25

Mikael wrote:Hi,

I was wondering how Old Norse Christian names were usually spelled, and if someone has a list of them? The name I'm particularly interested in is my own; Mikael. I understand the typical modern Icelandic form is Mikjall or sometimes Michael (I think this is from English?), was this the same spelling a thousand years ago? Also, I'm Norwegian so I was wondering if perhaps Mikael is an Old Norwegian variant?

Thanks

Hi Mikael,

The Old Norse form of your name is Mikjáll, used in Norway since approximately 1350. In Sweden, the form Michael was used a little earlier (in the 13th century according to Otterbjörk).
I'm not sure about the English pronunciation at this early stage - if it was similar to today's English, it is unlikely that the name came to the Nordic countries via England. The pronunciation is much closer to the German pronunciation than to the English pronunciation. But, again, this is just a guess as I'm unfamiliar with the pronunciation of Old English.

At the moment we don't have lists of Old Norse Christian names, but it's a very good idea for future projects on Nordic Names.

Kind regards,
Judith
judith
Site Admin

Postby Mikael » Fri 25 Jun 2010, 19:07

Thank you, Judith. Very helpful. You aren't Judith Jesch by any chance are you?
Mikael

Postby judith » Sat 26 Jun 2010, 22:20

Mikael wrote:Thank you, Judith. Very helpful. You aren't Judith Jesch by any chance are you?

You're welcome! No, I'm not Judith Jesch. :)
judith
Site Admin

Return to Missing Names