This name is used both as a female and a male name. See Gay f for the female version.
Origin and Meaning
1) Male usage of Gay f 
2) Irish pet form of Gabriel 
| - Finnish
|| Gayta / Gaytä
| - Swedish
Due to its additional meaning 'homosexual', the name has dropped out of use in English-speaking countries
No recent statistics trend found in databases for Gay.
Sources:    
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges: Oxford Dictionary of First Names (2003)
- ↑ Statistiska Centralbyrån, National statistics office of Sweden, http://www.scb.se/
- ↑ Danmarks Statistik, National statistics office of Denmark, http://www.dst.dk
- ↑ Statistisk Sentralbyrå, National statistics office of Norway, http://www.ssb.no
- ↑ Väestörekisterikeskus, National Population Register Centre of Finland, http://www.vrk.fi