Rate this name:
Origin and Meaning
Old Norse name
Combination of HEIM and DALL (see also -r)  
- Heimdallr is one of the Æsir in the Northern mythology, the guardian of the gods. His father is Óðinn and his mothers are nine sisters, among them are Angeyja and Atla. He lives in Himinbjǫrg near Bifrǫst and sits at the end of the sky guarding the bridge against the mountain giants. He needs less sleep than a bird and can see things 100 miles off whether it is day or night, and he can hear the grass growing on the earth and the wool on sheep and everything else which is louder than that. His teeth are made of gold. His deadly enemy is Loki and they both kill each other at the Ragnarǫk.   
- His horn Gjallarhorn = 'loud sounding horn' (which can be herd throughout the world)
- His sword Hǫfuð = 'man-head'
- His horse Gulltopr = 'golden mane'
- Rígr = 'king'
- Hallinskiði = 'the one with the lop-sided horns' or 'the inclining rod (= 'beam of sunlight')' or 'axis of the world' or 'rock cleft, crevice'
- Gullintanni = 'golden tooth'
Name Count per Country
Please turn your device to landscape orientation for better view of statistics tables and graphs.
No recent statistics trend found in databases for Heimdallr.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Rudolf Simek: Dictionary of Northern Mythology (1993)
- ↑ Ferdinand Holthausen: Vergleichendes und Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Altwestnordischen (1948)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Lars Magnar Enoksen: Norrøne guder og myter (2008)
- ↑ Roland Otterbjörk: Svenska förnamn (1979)
- ↑ Statistiska Centralbyrån, National statistics office of Sweden, http://www.scb.se/
- ↑ Danmarks Statistik, National statistics office of Denmark, http://www.dst.dk
- ↑ Statistisk Sentralbyrå, National statistics office of Norway, http://www.ssb.no
- ↑ Väestörekisterikeskus, National Population Register Centre of Finland, http://www.vrk.fi